Back in January Sarah and Molly started their Free Piecing Study and I joined. Above are the blocks I made for my partner Jessica. We aggreed upon light patterned background fabrics and though I had doubts about my blocks, now as I see them together, I like how they turned out.
The bird sample is finished and it's not as crooked as it looks on this photo. It measures 21 x 18 1/2".
Last sunday morning I picked a green fabric for the binding, cut two stripes and pieced them together, only to find out, I pieced one stripe together. Ok, took the seam ripper, took it apart again and intended to piece the 2 stripes together..Oops, I had cut the stripes in different widths... So I cut another stripe and the rest went well, I sewed the binding on without any other problems ;-)
I planned to stitch it down by hand in the evening, so I could take a look at it all day long... and I didn't like the green, because it didn't match the green in the border. To make it short, I took the binding off again and pieced on the orange binding the next day . Which surprisingly went without mistakes :-)
And here's the WIP:
Currently measuring 48x48" and waiting for a border...
I recently finished a long time UFO and a baby quilt and there are hardly any other UFO's left ( only about 17 or 18 , ok, I think not that much, but still enough ). So, as you never know what happens when all UFO's are gone, the universe could be shaken to it's core, I quickly started another project ... :-)
I've seen this kind of blocks on Bemused's blog, only I think hers are smaller. The finished size of my blocks is 8". The solid is a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton and it's gorgeous, very shimmery.
I'll probably make 9 or 12 blocks and then decide how to proceed :-)
It's still spring here in Germany and so I'm happy my new spring wall hanging is finished. It's already hanging on it's place until summer arrives...
Machine pieced and quilted and of course I forgot to measure it :-)
Here's a detail:
I quilted big flowers in the border fabric, but they don't show. But that's ok, I'll label it under 'practicing' :-) The backing fabric is from IKEA and I managed to put it upside down. Again no problem, because nobody will see it.
And I started a leader enders project: ocean waves à la Bonnie Hunter. This will be a long time project. Here's the first block: